Swift Current Energy, a renewable energy project developer, owner and operator (the “Company”), is seeking a Project Manager of Pre-Construction reporting to the Director of Pre-Construction. The Company has primary offices in Boston MA, Yarmouth ME, and Houston TX; this role may be based at any of these locations, with a preference for the Houston area.
To support the Company’s development, engineering, procurement, construction and operation of its wind, solar, and energy storage projects, we are recruiting a Project Manager who will work collaboratively across various functional teams as projects advance from development through construction. This is a great opportunity to work with a successful, high performing, and rapidly growing renewable energy company. The Company values and rewards initiative and emphasizes a strong commitment to our employees and their responsibilities to their families. This position affords an excellent opportunity for professional growth, working alongside industry experts and leaders.
The Project Manager of Pre-Construction works collaboratively with Development, Engineering, Procurement, and Construction to support construction due diligence, with the goal of addressing up-front construction and execution-related issues early in the project lifecycle. Through collaboration, an ability to balance the big picture with day-to-day details, and rigor around project budgets and schedules, the Project Manager ensures all stakeholders are aligned so that projects are executed on time and within budget.
Additional responsibilities are outlined below:
- Collaborate closely with Business Development to support early- to mid-stage projects, including reviewing and addressing upfront construction and execution-related issues early in the project lifecycle.
- Perform constructability assessments and risk analyses, conduct site visits, coordinate permitting, and collaborate with Job Hazard Analyses (JHA).
- Lead efforts to establish detailed baseline project schedules that incorporate the appropriate and necessary durations for each of the respective teams to perform and complete their work, including contingencies.
- Review and provide input for all project budgets, CapEx estimates and schedules for investment approval projects.
- Oversee the RFI and RFP processes for all assigned projects to move them from the development phase to the execution phase, including analyses of EPC RFPs.
- Recommend and support alternative contracting strategies as necessary to support project costs and schedules.
- Ensure all project teams are sufficiently trained and are consistently utilizing project tools to ensure projects are well documented.
- Support the completion of preliminary engineering specifications for construction and supply contracts.
- Contribute to the development of detailed project management and construction strategies, including determining implementation plans, risk registers, budgets, and schedules.
- Participate in the review and approval of vendors and suppliers.
- Coordinate with the Director of Pre-Construction and the Finance team regarding scheduling and budgeting of projects.
- Manage the effective integration of Development and Execution functions for assigned projects.
- Coordinate with colleagues across the Project Management team, from Pre-Construction to Project Execution, to ensure consistent methods are utilized in support of project execution.
- Coordinate all internal and external relations necessary to ensure the development and delivery of the project.
- Formally turn over executed contracts to the Project Management team for Execution.
- Develop effective relationships with contractors and suppliers to support the execution strategy.
- Develop effective and supportive relationships with colleagues across functions and geographies.
- Effectively lead assigned staff.
- Additional duties as required.
Travel associated with this role is estimated at 30%, depending on the needs and requirements of each project.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Construction Management or equivalent years of relevant professional experience
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in roles directly related to construction, project planning and execution of large utility-scale, power plant projects.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience working in renewable energy, industrial construction, or capital project management.
- Advanced knowledge of construction management and constructing methods for large projects, including direct knowledge of: contract management; procurement and supply chain management; environmental and building permitting; and transportation logistics.
- Demonstrated experience in building and maintaining critical path method schedules.
- Extensive experience with EPC and BOP construction contracting, including RFP processes, bid reviews, and negotiation of contract terms; renewable energy contracting experience is highly preferred.
- Highly proficient in the use of Microsoft Office software, including MS Project.
- Basic knowledge of construction labor relations throughout the U.S.
- Works well under pressure and on a deadline
- Collaborative; enjoys working with a diverse group of internal colleagues and external stakeholders
- Self-motivated, with a personal drive to succeed and accomplish significant goals
- Motivated by the opportunity to build and create – from the process to the project level
- Strong written and verbal communication skills